21 Missions Agave Nectar Posting Page
Sunday, August 31, 2008
By Savor California "Savory News" Vol. 2 No. 7
Dried Figs and Apricots in Vanilla Agave Wine Syrup
· 1 bottle (750 ml) Gewürztraminer
or Johannesburg Riesling
· 2/3 cup 21 Missions Agave Syrup Vanilla
· 8 ounces (12-14 figs) Valley Fig Growers
Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or
Sun-Maid Calimyrna figs, stems removed
· 4 ounces (about 1 cup packed)
B & R Farms dried apricots,
about 12 halves
· 2 Whole Spice Company cinnamon sticks,
each broken in half
· 1/2 cup Cowgirl Creamery Creme fraiche
or WholeSoy & Co. yogurt
· 1 tablespoon toasted slivered natural
In a large saucepan combine the wine, vanilla agave syrup and cinnamon stick.
Cover and cook over medium low heat, 10 - 15 minutes. Add the figs and apricots
and cook until the fruits are plumped and tender, about 15 - 20 more minutes.
Transfer the fruit, cinnamon sticks and agave-wine sauce to a heat-resistant bowl. Refrigerate until well chilled, about 4 hours.
Discard cinnamon sticks and spoon chilled fruit and agave-wine sauce into ramekins or serving dish. Top with a spoonful of Creme fraiche or yogurt. Garnish with a few toasted slivered almonds.
Makes 4 to 6 servings. Adapted from Fig Heaven, 2004, by Marie Simmons.